Sunday, July 24, 2011

First Haitian Church Service

I finally got to go to a Haitian church service today. We got there at 10am and they started singing and sang until 11:30! They sang in both creole and english and you could really feel the spirit move in that building. It was a nice church that was open on the sides and was almost shaped like a cross. We sat in the back of the church because the left and right wings were full. We estimated about 500 people there with about 1/4 being missionaries. The Pastor preached out of Luke 16: 19-31 on Lazarus. While I couldn't understand what he said, I think I knew where he was going with the message. Pretty much narrowed it down to what do we need in Hell? I was blessed to have been sitting next to a young boy who didn't have a Bible. I shared mine with him as the Preacher read out loud. The boy couldn't read english but he just wanted to follow along. At the end of the service him and 3 others gave their lives to Christ. It was such a moving experience for me as I knew that we couldn't understand each other, but we all shared the same love for Christ. We serve the same God.

I nice little storm has sit down right on top of us. Here is what The National Hurricane Center has said about it: A TROPICAL WAVE OVER THE CENTRAL CARIBBEAN SEA AND HISPANIOLA IS
PRODUCING A FEW DISORGANIZED SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS. SIGNIFICANT
DEVELOPMENT OF THIS SYSTEM IS NOT EXPECTED AS IT MOVES GENERALLY
WESTWARD NEAR 20 MPH AND INTERACTS WITH THE LAND MASSES OF
HISPANIOLA AND CUBA OVER THE NEXT DAY OR TWO.   THIS SYSTEM HAS
A LOW CHANCE...10 PERCENT...OF BECOMING A TROPICAL CYCLONE DURING
THE NEXT 48 HOURS.  LOCALLY HEAVY RAINFALL AND GUSTY WINDS ARE
POSSIBLE OVER HISPANIOLA...JAMAICA...AND EASTERN CUBA DURING THE
NEXT DAY OR SO.

  


I am pretty sure this is what a category 1 hurricane feels like. 

Well we have a church service here tonight and then a little good bye get together with some of the long term staff that will be leaving tomorrow. Some of the people here either served with me in November or came the week after I left. They have seen a lot of changes over the past 8 months, and to God give the praise.

No comments:

Post a Comment