Sunday, July 24, 2011

Day of rest is over.

Today was a great day to relax and reflect on what I have been called to do here. I found myself talking to other volunteers today that were not a part of the cholera outbreak at its peak. I am considered a "war veteran" to some of the younger medical volunteers (I got the big head when I was referred to as that) and they quickly let me know that I will be working 8a-3p this week and not to expect to see much action. I am ok with that because I have been working on some messages to talk to the patients about. I was told that abortion is one of the reasons that the females come in, and I quickly thought of Psalm 139: 13-16. I hope to not have to use it but I am ready.

We had a great devotion this afternoon here at the compound. I felt right at home when the Chaplain got up and said he was from Alabama and he started reading Matthew 16 out of his King James Version Bible. Before the devotions started I met the other Chaplain and we talked about our experiences in disaster relief and how well the SP Team and the Billy Graham Rapid Response Chaplains work together. I told him about my little lady and how she was thankful for us putting out feet where our knees had been. We both got chill bumps and he wrote it down yelling "that will Preach all day!"

We found out tonight in orientation that there will be 6 of us later this week at the clinic and we may get one day off each. I hope to get Thursday off (my birthday) and take a helicopter ride around to some of the villages and JAX beach compound. I spent about 3 hours this afternoon with the pilot talking about US Disaster, Franklin and medical evacuations. Willie is retired from Coke and is PT with SP now filling in as a pilot for both copters and fixed wing.

I am off to bed. I have to get up at 6am (7am EST) and get ready for day 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment